DUBROVNIK, THE PEARL OF THE ADRIATIC
Villa Orti is indeed perfectly located for those who want to explore the medieval city of Dubrovnik.
Dubrovnik is one of the most prominent destinations in the Mediterranean Sea and on UNESCO’s list of World Heritage Sites since 1979. It is called the ‘Pearl of the Adriatic’ due to its unique history and architecture.
The prosperity of the city was historically based on maritime trade; as the capital of the maritime Republic of Ragusa it achieved a high level of development, particularly during the 15th and 16th centuries, becoming known for its wealth and skilled diplomacy. Although severely damaged by an earthquake in 1667 and partly destroyed in armed conflict during the 1990s, Dubrovnik managed to preserve its beautiful Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque churches, monasteries, palaces and fountains.
Today it is not only one of Eastern Europe´s most captivating cities and among Croatia’s top summer destinations, it is also a magnet for those who love sunbathing, celebrity spotting and good coffee.
- Strolling on Stradun, Dubrovnik’s main street, is like walking through a open-air museum with contemporary characters. It’s definitely „the place to be“!
- A walk on the city walls, one of the best preserved fortifications of Europe, it’s an absolute must for anyone visiting the area.
- The Dubrovnik Museums will introduce you to the history and culture of the Republic of Ragusa. It’s a particularly important landmark for those who are interested in the background of this fascinating city.
- The first Dubrovnik Summer Festival was held in 1950. Today, this open air festival of music and theatre is one of the most important cultural events in Croatia and is strongly recommended to anyone who finds themselves in the city over this time.
- If you prefer a more adventurous way of visiting the Old Town, consider abseiling down the Dubrovnik city walls, sea kayaking and snorkeling in the shadow of the ramparts or taking a Game of Thrones walking tour. With so many options on offer, our manager is always available to make a personal recommendation.